- - - - -

14 tooth sprocket

17 replies to this topic

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

This is the single best mod that I have made to my 1098s so far. Third gear at 100 mph I can give it throttle and pull on the bars and the front end comes straight up! No Clutch what so ever! :badgerslayer The bike is so much smoother every where. Mileage dropped to about 80 miles before the fuel light comes on, or about 32mpg. But that is way offset by the performance upgrade. I can idle around a parking lot with no throttle and not feathering the clutch. :scooter The bike accelerates like a wild Banshee. It really doesn't seem to have any major drawbacks other than a slight decrease in mileage. I think that would be almost unnoticeable if I wasn't on one wheel all the time! The sprocket that I got was from Driven. I only paid about $40 for it shipped.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Ducati-Superbikes.com

#2 AMG ETR

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Bike: 2008 1098

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:25 PM

Put one on my holiday list (hey I had to put somthing somewhat inexpensive on there :) I will live a few more weeks without it, but for sure can't wait to put it on!
Evan
2008 Ducati 1098 (Red) (Termi's, HID's, Etc.) (TOTALED)

#3 dreadhead13

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Bike: 1098, Drz400 SM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:11 PM

while my first bike was in the shop for stalling issues they had the DP 14 tooth in stock so i picked it up n put it on. moved it over to the new bike too... there is noooo easyer way to just "bolt on" more power.. and like yoag said, the bike is much more traffic/parking lot friendly without the extra tall first gear. if anyone out there dosent have this mod i would say go for it!
..the thread killer...

#4 jdgun_13

Just a Base guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Bike: ZX6R, ZX10R , 675, 1098

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:51 AM

I have it on as well, But since new and all the above said is true
BUT for the track i will be going back to stock as with this much torque i felt the bike should of been able to pull more speed in each gear. i was shiftin non stop it seemed.
Damn that sure is ALOT of leather, MOMMY! :ninja

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

thats great news but be very careful and keep a close eye on the swing arm. by dropping the front sprocket it will eat into the swing arm. thats why my mechanic only does the rearsprocket.

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

there is a plastic slider on the swing arm. I have had problems with the chain rubbing the case cover with the factory sprocket. The smaller sprocket reduces this problem tremendously. I would rather replace chain sliders every so often than replace engine covers.

#7 Piranesi

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Bike: 1098 and sv650's

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

I also switched to the 14t just for the track. I was having some gear shift issues at Barber in certain sections and this solved the problem. I did not notice any drawbacks. I never hit the rev limiter in 6th on the main straight, which was my only worry. I might not have even hit the limiter in 5th. Still alot of bike. You need a big straight like Road Atlanta to worry about hitting the limit with the smaller front sprocket.

jdgun_13 said:

I have it on as well, But since new and all the above said is true
BUT for the track i will be going back to stock as with this much torque i felt the bike should of been able to pull more speed in each gear. i was shiftin non stop it seemed.

#8 viper1

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Bike: 1098, 996, 888, 749

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:38 PM

I was thinking of doing the 14 as well but also going up to a 39 in the rear to help prevent the slider munch! BUT that might be to much.....that's up four in the rear......maybe I'll just stick to doing a 39 in the rear??????

38/15=2.53
39/15=2.60
38/14=2.71
39/14=2.79:shock

Hummmmmmm

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:47 PM

Just remember. The little plastic sliders are cheaper than installing a new chain for a larger tooth sprocket in the rear.You only have to change them about every 5000 miles or so. Just buy new sliders when you replace your chain and its all good. It also reduces the weight of the bike ever so slightly. Especially if you compare it to a larger rear sprocket and more chain. It's not much, but just a consideration.

#10 markthebike

1098R Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1358 posts
  • Bike: Very Shiny Ducati 1098R

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:00 AM

Sorry to spoil the party guys. I'm an ex racer and lowering the gearing does not necessarily equate to quicker lap times. May make you feel like a hero around town, but on a race track can make you lap slower. I'm staying with the standard gearing for now. Anyway, is slipping the clutch a bit in first gear really that difficult?

#11 skydiver_33460

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Bike: ZX-10/1098s/CRF150R/RZ350

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:55 AM

What, if any are the draw backs to installing a 14T counter sprocket? I've heard reduced chain and sprocket life, and the chain can rub on the swingarm? Any truth to the rumors?
"Life on the edge, is a race against boredom"

#12 Yossarian

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Bike: too many / too few

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

skydiver_33460 said:

What, if any are the draw backs to installing a 14T counter sprocket? I've heard reduced chain and sprocket life, and the chain can rub on the swingarm? Any truth to the rumors?

It will cause reduced chain life; the chain has a smaller radius in which to get turned around.

Other observations of mine were:

Loss of first gear. Not really "lost", but because the front wheel wants to come up on acceleration, I would need to short-shift to 2nd almost all of the time.

When downshifting to 1st I experienced a fair amount of rear wheel hop.

I went back to the 15T and feel it's the better of the two.
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.

#13 skydiver_33460

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Bike: ZX-10/1098s/CRF150R/RZ350

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:40 AM

Yossarian said:

It will cause reduced chain life; the chain has a smaller radius in which to get turned around.

Loss of first gear. Not really "lost", but because the front wheel wants to come up on acceleration, I would need to short-shift to 2nd almost all of the time.

Thank you for honest and unbiased reply. I think I'll keep my stock gearing.
"Life on the edge, is a race against boredom"

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

I'm told in Tampa Bay, Fl area, chain will rub swingarm with one tooth less in front.
david

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

Yossarian said:

I totally agree with the above. The rider's weight comes into play, though. I weigh in at the 165 pound range, so the gearing was probably designed for me. I note there are some very heavy riders on this forum that may need that 14" counter sprocket to get the bike off the line. I don't see any way to do a poll on this site, but it would be interesting to find out what folks weigh that are using the 1098.

#16 markthebike

1098R Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1358 posts
  • Bike: Very Shiny Ducati 1098R

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:05 AM

Don't think weight is really a factor. Dumbo the elephant could get a 1098 off the line pretty quick. 14T makes the bike feel quick. 15T is quick.

#17 bwhip

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Bike: 848, Hyper S, SXV550, CBR

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:28 AM

No problems for me getting off the line in races with stock gearing, and my 190 lb self. I seem to get much better starts with the 1098S than I do with my Honda 600, including a few holeshots this year.

#18 lee

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:35 AM

It is my understanding that a 14T front does not make a 525 chain chain at all happy. Too tight a radius.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users