4 replies to this topic

#1 pawelgawel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Bike: 848

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

just a small rant....

About 2 weeks ago I visited a local dealer to see if they had anything interesting in the used inventory... and they did. 2011 848evo white silk. 15k

I had a quick look at it in their shop and from what I saw, I fell in love with it... Decided to see if I can sell my S2R, which I did quite quickly and went back to the dealer. To my surprise, they decided to drop the price to sell it quickly this month, the salesman showed me how much they had in it at trade in, and it all made sense.

They promised it has full service done (Belts, valves.... 15k service), made it seam they did it themselves... In my eyes this was a great buy and didn't hesitate to pull the trigger. I paid in cash, and I was told this will be certified and plated asap.

A week later, I finally went to pick her up and the surprises began:

Bike was left unwashed, dusty and dirty, the way it was when I saw it first time.... though "no big deal"
I received only ONE key and the salesguy tried to tell me that this model did not come with a Key Card, just 2 keys... I had to convince him that it SHOULD have the card and 2 keys... he said he would look into it.
I asked for service history and found out this bike was NEVER serviced there but at an independent shop 100miles from the location by a well known mechanic... and tried to convince me that the service was done 100% and he will verify this with the indy shop.

I rode it home and began my little inspection and found the following:
-No license plate light (tail tidy but no light)
-rear brake pads ALMOST at 1mm!
-front brakes ok shape but squeek like crazy
-left main fairing all scratched up! (turns out the previous owner laid it down at a very slow speed enough to scratch it in 2 areas). i didn't notice this when I looked at the bike 3x as the lighting in the garage was dim.
-upper fairing right corner is scratched to the plastic (didn't notice that as well until in direct light)
-Oil was old and not changed , in my opinion for at least a year

I know buying a used bike is not same as a new one, but when Im spending a nice chunk of cash on something that is fairly low miles from an actual DEALER, My mind should be at ease and I shouldn't be questioning the safety of the vehicle. The cosmetics is my fault for not noticing, even though they did not mention any of the damage aside from a small scuff in the belt area.

I went beack to them today, they did the oil change and ordered a new set of pads for the back... gave me a LED lights for the plate... but I still have not received any definite information regarding the 15k service that was apparently done and any help with the key issue... I asked about the fairing, and he will check in with his body shop to see what they can do.

Could someone please give me some advise what else I should try with these guys? Im not expecting a new bike, but I should be receiving something with healthy bill of sale and peace of mind for the future.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Ducati-Superbikes.com

#2 Ductech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Bike: 848 Evo Corse

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:32 AM

IMO you purchased a “used” bike. You should have thoroughly inspected the motorcycle before handing over your cash. All questions about services and keys should of also been handled before you paid.

When the sales person showed you the motorcycle did you expect that he would sit there and point out every scratch and nick that was on the vehicle? To me that sounds ridiculous.

Now I do understand about the license plate light in the rear brake pads but that’s really about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 pawelgawel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

I asked 2 different reps about the service and both times the answer was "we wouldn't sell it without the service being done". To me that was convincing to say the least considering this is a very well known dealership in the Toronto community and its not just a little small business some jo blow is running by buying auction vehicles and flipping them or curbing.

I admit I made the mistake of trusting them and taking their word without having the items written in ink. when I personally sell any vehicles I point out everything I know about the car/bike and would never make false claims about anything. Its something i believe in and take pride in, and in some way, I was hoping this would be a smooth and honest transaction as well.

Ill have a look at the belts tomorrow and go from there... ill be meeting them this monday or tuesday anyways and Ill continue my little battle.

Edited by pawelgawel, 29 October 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#4 pawelgawel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

I took a look at the bottom belt and ...... :(

doesn't look like these are fresh at all... they look as if they had 2 years on them by now in my opinion

Edited by pawelgawel, 29 October 2017 - 01:24 PM.

#5 pawelgawel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

can someone please verify my suspicions please.. do these look like they have been changed in last 2 month or much much later?

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users