27 replies to this topic

#1 PainterDude

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Bike: YSR250F

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

I am always asked, Where do I get the paint formulas.... Well, I get them from Dupont Europe, as they are not available from Dupont USA, I have permission to access the formulas & have a conversion ratio as the tints are slightly different.... For this reason I don't give the formulas away easily, as they are difficult to access.....

Just the other day, I had a customer send me a link to this forum, where a member was spouting off about there are only 2 true paint available for Ducati.. Color Rite & Palini, This is factually incorrect, in Europe most of the formulas are available from all the paint manufacturers like PPG, Dupont & RM,In fact PPG develops the paint for Ducati, look at your service manual, the PPG code will be there... Palini is a paint manufacture also known as Palinal & yes they do have the motorcycle formulas, but they are not exclusive... If PPG makes the paint & the code in your manual is a PPG code, How can Palini be the ONLY True paint for Ducati... Dosn't make much sense, dose it....

Color Rite, on the other hand, Does not manufacture there own paints, They mix colors with someone elses formulas & paint, I am told PPG... I assume he has similar permissions as I do with Dupont....

The thing with paints is the colors vary from bike to bike, we call this a variance, sometimes there will be a variant formula, sometimes 5 variant formula's for 1 color... So with some colors you need to adjust to suit the bike you are painting, With Ducati, I know that the New Rossa Red is Very close & The Yellow is as well, so I don't need a sample of the bike, for other colors like the pearl white, I ask for a sample from the bike or tell the customer it will be close but i can't guarantee a perfect match.... The Black effect is the worst, the formula is no where near the color on the bike & I always need a sample to mix that color & sometimes then is still difficult, I am getting closer to my own formula, as everytime I mix it to match I learn a little about the color & what works & what dosn't.... Most all other manufacturers, the colors are Tri-coats a 3 step process, like a candy color & these can be difficult to spray & match for the average DIY guy....

Just to prove my point & that I am telling you straight I have attached a Dupont formula that I just dowloaded a few minutes ago...

No I am not going to start selling paint, I hate to sell products that don't work, ColorRite dosn't care much about variances , so they mix the field formula & if it matches Great!! if not, no refund, once you open the can, you own it...My experience with them is poor, I've had a few customers insist on ColorRite cause they think they know more than me & the colors almost never match & the price is Triple what I would charge or a paint store would charge for the same amounts... My Opinion of course, I am entitled... So there you have it...

Attached Files

Edited by PainterDude, 25 May 2010 - 06:59 PM.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Ducati-Superbikes.com

#2 nucking_futs

In Moderation

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts
  • Bike: 1098s / '05 999R

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

Excellent info, thank you.

#3 jelco

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Bike: 1098

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:24 AM

thanks for clarifying . . . .

good to know others are willing to share legit info

#4 Maxx

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Bike: 1098 (RIP), 1198S

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

PainterDude said:

In fact PPG develops the paint for Ducati, look at your service manual

Actually it's in the owners manual that comes with every bike. I don't recall seeing the color in the service manual but it could be in there as well.

#5 desmoworks

Site Sponsor

• Site Sponsors
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

I'll throw a second up to not being a fan of color-rite. I like their idea, but the execution could use some work as pointed out above.

#6 phatr1s

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Bike: 2010 1198s

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

good info..

#7 PainterDude

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

Maxx said:

Actually it's in the owners manual that comes with every bike. I don't recall seeing the color in the service manual but it could be in there as well.

Yes Owners manual, I meant to say... Same conclusion..

#8 Rhett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,694 posts
  • Bike: R1, V-Rod

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

Great information and thanks for sharing the actual legit info.

There is so much bad info out there about paint and colors.... it's nice to see accurate information being shared. :beer

#9 zx10guy

Newer Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Bike: Tricycle

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

Actually, based on my experience with having to have my 848's tail re-painted, the PPG paint codes listed in the owner's manual are invalid. My painter tried to find any information on the paint codes listed and came up with zilch. He had to work with his PPG representative for a couple of hours to figure the exact paint match. The paint he used for Pearl White matched up with the one listed in this link:

http://www.ducati-up...read.php?t=7498

#10 PainterDude

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

zx10guy said:

Actually, based on my experience with having to have my 848's tail re-painted, the PPG paint codes listed in the owner's manual are invalid. My painter tried to find any information on the paint codes listed and came up with zilch. He had to work with his PPG representative for a couple of hours to figure the exact paint match. The paint he used for Pearl White matched up with the one listed in this link:

http://www.ducati-up...read.php?t=7498

0040 or 040 is a Toyota (lexus) paint code for pearl white, Not sure if Ducati stole it or what, Still the pearl white is a tri coat & the color will change from coat to coat....

As with Dupont, The PPG formulas are not available in the USA, but can be had if you know who to ask, I've seen them, but PPG was not a Viable option for my business as I don't have a local dealer to buy it from....Dupont is a superior product as well...

The only paint system in the USA that Has all the Motorcycle formula's is Spies Hecker which happens to be a subsidiary of Dupont... They have a line called MotoBook & that is where the formulas are kept...

Spies Hecker stores are few & far between unfortunatly....

#11 duc_season

848 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:16 AM

Hey Painterdude, thanks for sharing this. I was thinking that I might have to buy a used red panel as a color sample if I dropped off my black 848 lowers for repainting (to red).

With respect to Ducati's pearl white, how do they prevent the yellowish tint that seems so common with plastic body panels painted in pearl white on automobiles? My car came from the factory in pearl white, but the plastic body panels (spoiler, bumpercover, etc.) have a tinge of yellow under certain lighting conditions.
Trust but verify. - Ronald Reagan

#12 bstar360

1098S Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

I read somewhere that the Ducati paint is water based, is this correct?

#13 PainterDude

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

The Base coats may be water based, not sure of the VOC laws in Italy, But in the UK they are requires to use water based color coats... The PPG codes are only available in a water based mixture, but the same colors in Dupont I can get in both Solvent & Water Based formulas...

All Clear Coats are still Solvent Based....

#14 PainterDude

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

duc_season said:

Hey Painterdude, thanks for sharing this. I was thinking that I might have to buy a used red panel as a color sample if I dropped off my black 848 lowers for repainting (to red).

With respect to Ducati's pearl white, how do they prevent the yellowish tint that seems so common with plastic body panels painted in pearl white on automobiles? My car came from the factory in pearl white, but the plastic body panels (spoiler, bumpercover, etc.) have a tinge of yellow under certain lighting conditions.

This is common with many colors, not just Pearl White, The Most common is Silver & Gold, the reason is that plastic parts create static electricity & the metallic & pearls in the paint orientate themselves differently then on a metal surface, The static causes the flakes to stand up on end, instead of laying flat, this will cause the colors to appear darker with metallic & Yellower with Pearl colors as it changes the way light is refracted...

This is why bumpers on many New Cars appear to be a slightly different color....

Edited by PainterDude, 31 July 2010 - 01:23 PM.

#15 Drewbrese

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Bike: Brutale 1090RR

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

Good info PainterDude.

#16 hayden08

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

PPG offers the ducati colors in there Nexa Waterbase line of paints.

#17 Sedan_Clan

Capoeirista Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Bike: 2010 Ducati 848

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Great info!
BMW ///M Junkie!

#18 duc_season

848 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

If there are any doubts about how close Painterdude can get to Ducati's Rossa Red, allow me to dispell them now. Forget KolurRyte and all that stuff. Painterdude's Dupont formula for Ducati Rossa Red is a virtual bullseye match. Painterdude was gracious enough to paint my 848 lowers last week, and in terms of color shade, I can't tell the difference between the OEM factory paint and Painterdude's Dupont formula....it's that close. The second picture tells the story.

How much did it cost? Well, let's just say that Painterdude's rates were very, very, very, reasonable. But I'll let Painterdude quote actual prices.

Thanks Painterdude! You did good!:mrgreen

Attached Files

#19 PainterDude

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

Thanx Whitney..... I'm glad your happy..... I should point out, that I had nothing to match to from his bike, so that is the straight formula, as you can see the color is a Perfect match...

#20 duc_season

848 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

What they look like installed....

Bye-bye matte black, hello Ducati Rossa Red!

Attached Files

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users