11 replies to this topic

#1 jake318

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Bike: Tricycle

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:59 AM

Hello all, I just wanted to inform you all that There is a company that makes carbon fiber slip ons that DO NOT require the ECU or Power commander to be installed to balance out the air/fuel mixure that normally becomes lean after the installation of after market exhaust .
The Company is HMF, who SUPPOSEDLY made these pipes specifically for FAST BY FERRACCI DUCATI for people that are not looking for High performance , but wanted to eliminate the stock catylitic Converter exhaust due to the extream heat tha FRYs your ass after 15 minets of riding .My son and I LOVE to do odd/Unique high performance builds but im so happy with the 1198 I want to ride it more than do performance work and at 155HP at the rear wheel the bikes performance is already better than my riding skills . lol

The cost through Ferracci is 785$ and the quality is yet to be seen being the outer coating is carbon fiber ( some are durable some are NOT ) The COMPANY of HMF makes the exhaust for 600$ on EBAY. Competition unit is identical looking ( maybe identical period lol) to the Ferracci unit , but the sport unit has a different end piece (turn down) brushed aluminum AND you can choose from10? different colors MIX/MATCH ect including a DUCATI RED if your like a little bling for your bike .( not my style but to each his own )lol

Feracci is WELL know for racing having won AMA championships as well as WSB championships .
Being HMF is a small company that will even mix and match colors for a customers exhaust , its likely that they indeed made a spec unit for ferracci . But for 185$ differance it pays to call HMF to see if they can send you the Ferracci/no fueler needed unit direct .

Edited by jake318, 20 May 2010 - 09:25 AM.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Ducati-Superbikes.com

#2 jake318

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

Just some more info ... You CAN buy direct from HMF exhaust(OHIO) . Their Website is http://www.hmfracing.com. You can also get RED carbon fiber units if thats to your liking .

#3 Plwtwo

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Bike: RC51.1198s x2

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

"With the HMF Dual exhaust installed, we picked
up 15-20% more horse power and torque and added an insanely sick sound"

Me thinks they are telling a fib!!:nono

so I call :bs Why buy a Italian bike and then put the cheapest pipe on it available?? But like you said to each their own!

#4 1198freak

1098S Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

I am wary of any exhaust that claims a 15% increase in power with no remapping. Sure you can install any slipon and run it with no remapping, but you will not gain any power and more importantly you will certainly not improve the fueling. (most likely make it run worse and lose power) I will admit I have never heard of HMF, maybe they are doing something differently. Personally though I would not install a slipon or full system without remapping.

#5 woopy

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

Question???
If the FMF pipes flow so much more air out of the engine to give significant HP gains, then how does more fuel/air get into the engine to assist in the exhaust flow and hence the HP gain?

These Euro 3 engines are as lean as F*%k to comply with standards - too lean in fact. The ECU (which is non programmable) cannot increase your fuel/air mix once you make a change to the exhaust and air filter.

Many people have listed for 3 years now, that they can run slip ons without an ECU upgrade and have no adverse damage or noticable power loss...... I don't buy it.
Even with the 70mm system on my bike and the DP race ECU, I can see that the rear cylinder runs lean compared to the front (exhaust is a completely different colour from the extra heat), because the ECU doesn't map each cylinder individually (Nemisis and Tuneboy do).

If you want a stock bike that's fine. If you want it to sound and look nice - buy a set of slip ons and remap the ECU (or buy the Termi kit). If you want more power and have something extra to brag about - run a full race system. BUT don't fool yourself into thinking that a $600 muffler will outperform an Akrapovic race system that has been mapped for each cyclinder, that will cost you upwards of $3500!

#6 bstar360

1098S Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

woopy said:

Question???
If the FMF pipes flow so much more air out of the engine to give significant HP gains, then how does more fuel/air get into the engine to assist in the exhaust flow and hence the HP gain?

These Euro 3 engines are as lean as F*%k to comply with standards - too lean in fact. The ECU (which is non programmable) cannot increase your fuel/air mix once you make a change to the exhaust and air filter.

Many people have listed for 3 years now, that they can run slip ons without an ECU upgrade and have no adverse damage or noticable power loss...... I don't buy it.
Even with the 70mm system on my bike and the DP race ECU, I can see that the rear cylinder runs lean compared to the front (exhaust is a completely different colour from the extra heat), because the ECU doesn't map each cylinder individually (Nemisis and Tuneboy do).

If you want a stock bike that's fine. If you want it to sound and look nice - buy a set of slip ons and remap the ECU (or buy the Termi kit). If you want more power and have something extra to brag about - run a full race system. BUT don't fool yourself into thinking that a $600 muffler will outperform an Akrapovic race system that has been mapped for each cyclinder, that will cost you upwards of $3500!
Okay not arguing with you.
What does the lamda do? I thought it was to alter the AFR.
I realise the 70mm system has no lamda.

#7 jake318

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:39 AM

FAST BY FERRACCI(eraldo Himself ) said that HMF made the pipe PER his specs which was to Copy the backpressure of the STOCK pipe. This would give you an aftermarket pipe without the need to that gives the SAME power as stock unit just not as HOT because of being non catylitic.
BUT if your saying the stock 1198 set up comes lean from the factory. I may end up installing a power commander /fueler after all.

#8 Maxx

Tri Colore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Bike: 1098 (RIP), 1198S

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:56 AM

It's very lean from the factory. Needs to pass emissions in the US and the only way to do that is with a Cat, very Lean mix and carbon canister.

#9 bstar360

1098S Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:46 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the PC dosen't do anything under 4500-5000 rpm?

#10 rean1mator

Newer Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

Lies! None of the aftermarket slip ons require an ecu reflash or upgrade. The 1198 stock ecu adjusts just fine.

jake318 said:

Hello all, I just wanted to inform you all that There is a company that makes carbon fiber slip ons that DO NOT require the ECU or Power commander to be installed to balance out the air/fuel mixure that normally becomes lean after the installation of after market exhaust .
The Company is HMF, who SUPPOSEDLY made these pipes specifically for FAST BY FERRACCI DUCATI for people that are not looking for High performance , but wanted to eliminate the stock catylitic Converter exhaust due to the extream heat tha FRYs your ass after 15 minets of riding .My son and I LOVE to do odd/Unique high performance builds but im so happy with the 1198 I want to ride it more than do performance work and at 155HP at the rear wheel the bikes performance is already better than my riding skills . lol

The cost through Ferracci is 785$ and the quality is yet to be seen being the outer coating is carbon fiber ( some are durable some are NOT ) The COMPANY of HMF makes the exhaust for 600$ on EBAY. Competition unit is identical looking ( maybe identical period lol) to the Ferracci unit , but the sport unit has a different end piece (turn down) brushed aluminum AND you can choose from10? different colors MIX/MATCH ect including a DUCATI RED if your like a little bling for your bike .( not my style but to each his own )lol

Feracci is WELL know for racing having won AMA championships as well as WSB championships .
Being HMF is a small company that will even mix and match colors for a customers exhaust , its likely that they indeed made a spec unit for ferracci . But for 185$ differance it pays to call HMF to see if they can send you the Ferracci/no fueler needed unit direct .

#11 rean1mator

Newer Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

i remember seeing some dyno comparisons between a 1098 with just a slip on and a 1098 w/ slip on + ecu and the hp differences were negligible at best.

ecu's can compensate just fine to a certain point.. it's not a static system like a carburetor is.

the only time i've heard the recommendation for an ecu upgrade is when you add the slip on + hi flow air filter.

between the 15-20% hp claims plus the bogus ecu requirement claims; i would not buy this product just out of priniciple.

1198freak said:

I am wary of any exhaust that claims a 15% increase in power with no remapping. Sure you can install any slipon and run it with no remapping, but you will not gain any power and more importantly you will certainly not improve the fueling. (most likely make it run worse and lose power) I will admit I have never heard of HMF, maybe they are doing something differently. Personally though I would not install a slipon or full system without remapping.

#12 Louis

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

I made my own slip ons, stock ECU, picked up 2 hp, and a LOT of sound, and saved 3pounds.

The bike stock ran WAY lean, it was worse with the mufflers. I adjusted the TPS to give it a bit more fuel at part throttle, and it rides much much better, not to mention the 14T.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users