25 replies to this topic

#1 gordsboyroy

Newer Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Bike: 05 999R

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

I can't believe that it didn't come with one but...
which slipper clutch do you recommend?
What's the difference between 4 and 6 spring?

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Ducati-Superbikes.com

#2 KNEEDRAGGER

Site Sponsor

• Site Sponsors
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • Bike: A few.... :)

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

I've used several different slipper clutches in my Ducati's over the past 7 years, but my favorite, without a doubt is the EVR.

You can read about my long term update in my 1098 here - EVR Clutch Long Term Test (updated at 12,082 miles) - Ducati Superbikes

And you can learn more about them here - Clutches and Clutch Parts

BTW - if you order this item through the website, you will receive 10% off for being a forum member.

#3 rotty749r

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Bike: Tricycle

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

I have a STM 48 tooth 6 spring in my 2004 749R and a stocker in the 2005 749R. I had a Yoyo 12 tooth in my 1098.

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between them. Plates for the 48 tooth cost more, but are supposed to last longer.
Martin
'05 749R track only

#4 moto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts
  • Bike: 1098,999R,996R,900FE,M944

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

We've been selling and using slipper clutches for over 10 years.
Most ramp/ball bearing designs feel about the same.

This one is priced very well and has a nice progressive feel. I'm using it on our Streetfighter project bike:

Posted Image
Corse 4 Spring Slipper Clutch w/ Surflex Plates $939 complete

This one uses a endless screw rather than ramp/ball bearing:
SURFLEX Slipper Clutch w/ Plates: 1098,1198,SF

Posted Image

We might might have a few of these with some slight anodize blems for $950. This one uses your stock alum basket

If you have good friction plates and good basket, check this one for $599:

Posted Image

MW Drop-in Slipper clutch $599

Edited by moto, 25 May 2010 - 09:08 PM.

#5 tye1138

X-troppa difficoltà-X

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Bike: I miss my 749R

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

Sorry for digging up an old thread.

I've been using the motowheels 6 spring clutch for quite sometime and think that design is the best.

The ball bearing slipper clutches allow for more adjustment range in the slipping system and they also are the cheapest. If your riding on the street, any clutch will work. If your riding on the track, adjustability is the key and being able to simply change the stack by 1mm will alter the clutches slipping performance substantially. The STM/EVR clutches are brilliant designs, but they don't offer that same adjustability. Depending on the track, sometimes I would adjust the slipping range via plate stack to give more or less slip.

Ducati corse uses a ball bearing clutch in World Superbike. None of those fancy STM/EVR clutches are used in racing, everything is really basic and their is a reason why, the ball bearing clutches just work better for track riding. Again, on the street, you won't use the slipper too much and the STM/EVR/SURFLEX endless screw type slippers, they tend to be "nicer" engagement wise.

+1 for the motowheels clutches, well made and work great!

Edited by tye1138, 09 February 2010 - 02:03 PM.

#6 earthbm

one highside too many

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Bike: 848 Hyper SC1000 oldBMW

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

is Surflex the only one not requiring any maintenance (oiling the ball bearings?)

#7 tye1138

X-troppa difficoltà-X

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

earthbm said:

is Surflex the only one not requiring any maintenance (oiling the ball bearings?)

They don't really need maintenance.

#8 AKKutz

Site Sponsor

• Site Sponsors
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • Bike: 1199PT, 1040RS etc

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:01 AM

48t yoyodyne! They do need to keep the stack height in check!

Posted Image

Ducati,Triumph, Suzuki, KTM, LOU. KY

Tony Kutz 502.568.2666 tony@commoto.com

#9 shakenbake

Newer Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

tye1138 said:

Ducati corse uses a ball bearing clutch in World Superbike. None of those fancy STM/EVR clutches are used in racing, everything is really basic and their is a reason why, the ball bearing clutches just work better for track riding. Again, on the street, you won't use the slipper too much and the STM/EVR/SURFLEX endless screw type slippers, they tend to be "nicer" engagement wise.

+1 for the motowheels clutches, well made and work great!

FYI, The STM Slippers are one of the most used and perferred clutches used in Super Moto racing. Just about all the bikes on the AMA Super Moto grid are sing the STM clutches.

#10 DezmoAndrew

Club Racer Wanne Be

• Site Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Bike: 2003 999S Racebike

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

I've been running the Surflex screw type for two years of club racing .. it has worked really well. I mostly don't even think about it being there as I down shift and brake into the slow corners.
Andrew Sexton
Owner, MotoReva.Com

#11 KNEEDRAGGER

Site Sponsor

• Site Sponsors
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • Bike: A few.... :)

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

If your after the standard ball and ramp style slipper clutches popular with companies like Bucci, STM, Ducati Performance, Yoyodine, and others... We have just introduced DucaBike parts to the US, and our first racer to use the DucaBike clutch (the 4 spring version) is Jim Sehringer.

He is very fast, has numerous championship titles, and after finishing his first few races with the DucaBike told me last week that he absolutely loves the clutch.

You can see and choose from the 4, 5 (Damn right I said 5! Nobody else offers that!!), and 6 spring versions here - BellissiMoto - Exotic Parts for the Beautiful Italian in your life.

And don't forget to mention that you are a forum member when ordering so we can give you your forum member discount!

#12 Notorious DSB

Warm Weather Snob

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,787 posts
  • Bike: Bianchi Ducati 22 speed

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

I have the STM 48T and it is awesome. I can slam it from 6th to 1st with the lever pulled back and then just let it pop. The engine slowly spins and winds down and matches the revs and no upset bike no hop nothing. Just smooth controllable downshifts. Amazing.
RIP: Maurelio "!stAnt" Guerrero (12/10/66-11/16/08) - We miss you, brother.

#13 tye1138

X-troppa difficoltà-X

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

shakenbake said:

FYI, The STM Slippers are one of the most used and perferred clutches used in Super Moto racing. Just about all the bikes on the AMA Super Moto grid are sing the STM clutches.

Umm, yea supermoto motors use a super small clutch assembly and likewise, you can't make a ball-bearing style clutch.

#14 Notorious DSB

Warm Weather Snob

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

What's wrong with using STM for superbikes? I have a Yoyodyne on my Suzook but went STM for the Duck. It works better than the Yoyodyne. Way smoother engagement.

#15 tye1138

X-troppa difficoltà-X

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

Notorious DSB said:

What's wrong with using STM for superbikes? I have a Yoyodyne on my Suzook but went STM for the Duck. It works better than the Yoyodyne. Way smoother engagement.

Its all about how you ride. The "smoother" engagement has nothing to do with the clutch assembly, it has everything to do with plates and setup. The non-ball bearing style slippers are more difficult to taylor to your individual needs and likewise trap racers into what the clutch is manufactured to do (mostly street applications) vs allowing the clutch to mould into what the racer needs. From adjustable pressure plate tension (alternative springs and spring tightness) to stack height allowances (very loose on the ball bearing slippers) and of course, ease of making those adjustments.

So what does the racer need? Ease of slipping the assembly for smooth starts. We also need the slipper function to be super smooth for downshifts AND most importantly, disengage for a longer period of time while the slipper is active. These few functions are (per my testing) almost impossible to get with anything but the ball bearing style clutches. This may be the reason why all the world superbike teams use the standard ducati corse clutch, which is almost identical to the DP clutch, which is identical to the motowheels 6 spring slipper.

You can use any clutch you want, but using a more basic clutch system allows for better control of your bike on starting and corner entry, two places where control is very necessary.

#16 Notorious DSB

Warm Weather Snob

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

Ah... got it. Forgot to specify the Yoyodyne is on a race-only Suzook while the STM is on the street duck. Never coasted enough on the track to be able to notice how smooth it can be in a non-violent riding situation.

#17 little_bro

1098 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:14 AM

tye1138 said:

Its all about how you ride. The "smoother" engagement has nothing to do with the clutch assembly, it has everything to do with plates and setup. The non-ball bearing style slippers are more difficult to taylor to your individual needs and likewise trap racers into what the clutch is manufactured to do (mostly street applications) vs allowing the clutch to mould into what the racer needs. From adjustable pressure plate tension (alternative springs and spring tightness) to stack height allowances (very loose on the ball bearing slippers) and of course, ease of making those adjustments.

So what does the racer need? Ease of slipping the assembly for smooth starts. We also need the slipper function to be super smooth for downshifts AND most importantly, disengage for a longer period of time while the slipper is active. These few functions are (per my testing) almost impossible to get with anything but the ball bearing style clutches. This may be the reason why all the world superbike teams use the standard ducati corse clutch, which is almost identical to the DP clutch, which is identical to the motowheels 6 spring slipper.

You can use any clutch you want, but using a more basic clutch system allows for better control of your bike on starting and corner entry, two places where control is very necessary.

All STM are a ball and ramp design. It's just a very expensive one. And yes, ball and ramps absolutely do need maintenance, both in greasing the balls/ramps to promote longevity, and in keeping the stack height shimmer, which is less for adjuset and more to keep it working properly so it doesn't put you on your arse. Also keep a spare spider spring around as they actually do break.

#18 tye1138

X-troppa difficoltà-X

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

little_bro said:

All STM are a ball and ramp design. It's just a very expensive one. And yes, ball and ramps absolutely do need maintenance, both in greasing the balls/ramps to promote longevity, and in keeping the stack height shimmer, which is less for adjuset and more to keep it working properly so it doesn't put you on your arse. Also keep a spare spider spring around as they actually do break.

Huh, mine was not ball bearing, it was more like the surflex with the solid ramps.

Whenever I would lube the balls, it would spray that grease all over the outside of the clutch assembly and when you take it back apart the balls were all dry... Sure a very light coat of grease might be worth while, but if its on a race/track bike, you've gotta do maintenance anyhow, so its no big deal. I have yet to have a ball bearing slipper lock up, though I have had a ramp style like the stock 749r clutch lock up...

#19 shakenbake

Newer Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

tye1138 said:

Umm, yea supermoto motors use a super small clutch assembly and likewise, you can't make a ball-bearing style clutch.

Have you ever seen a dirt bike clutch pack?

#20 tye1138

X-troppa difficoltà-X

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:00 AM

shakenbake said:

Have you ever seen a dirt bike clutch pack?

Only on 2 strokes and 250 4 strokes, (never worked on a 450)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users